Friday, May 31, 2013

Humor me for a minute

Today we ventured into the city- with a screaming baby in the back of the car, on a day they were repainting the lines on the freeway. Go figure. The only thing keeping me from pulling out every hair on my head were my noise canceling headphones........kidding. Sadly.
I was able to maintain my good mood because the point of our city trip was shopping! For jewelry! Mmmm.
We went to visit the fabulous Ellie at SFE Jewelry to look at wedding bands. (Two for me. One for Mark. And a wishlist of about 15 other items for me.) Last time we went to visit Ellie I was so newly pregnant that we didn't mention anything to her, though she may have had a suspicion after I emptied the candy bowl on the jewelry counter. (I damn near did the same thing today but only because I was comfort snacking when Mark told me I couldn't have the $20,000 necklace calling my name. Rude.) When we arrived today to see her it took her a minute to realize it was us, because she certainly was not expecting we would roll in with a new crew member. She was stunned and excited and a tad bit mad it took us a whole 11 weeks to bring P out to meet her! I knew right away exactly what bands I wanted to best compliment my engagement ring, but that didn't keep me from trying on every other ring in the store- just to be sure I was making the right decision. But true to form, P requested the spotlight be returned to her and demanded to try on loads of bling. She was such a trooper as we took 297 photos of her posed with $80,000 worth of jewels on. What can I say, this girl is a diva. (See prior post for additional details on this.) What a fun time we had with Ellie and her adorable girl, Nikki.
"Please explain the title of this blog post, Katie"
"Right away, sister."
Shortly before we made it to Ellie's shop we were lured by sparkle and shine into another jewelry store. While there about three different women came up to give compliments on "how adorable" and "what a cutie" Sweet P is. And then...then there was Ragdoll Weirdo. One of the sales people came up and put both her fingers out for P to hold on to. And while she is looking at P and using her best fingers-on-a-chalkboard baby voice, she says "I don't care much for children. I know a lot of people love babies but I was never one of them. I'm a cat lady. Have you ever heard of a Ragdoll?" She proceeded to tell us all about her Ragdoll cat at home- the "dog of the cat world"- who "goes limp when you hold him and lays on the keyboard when I'm trying to type, that silly kitty." (I wonder: if I go limp will you stop talking and go away, Ragdoll Weirdo?) True I have never worked retail (Quizno's cashier does NOT count) but I would be willing to guess that to make a sale you shouldn't lead with how much you dislike children. In fact, for the next five minutes you should humor me and assume the identity of a talent agent who thinks my kid has what it takes to be the next Olsen Twins. One baby the equivalent of TWO?! How impressive! Humor me! Much like our pediatrician told me "better start saving for Harvard" when I proudly noted my 8 week old had a completely average head circumference AND could hold her head up for a split second. Humor me! While Ragdoll Weirdo was never going to get our sale (that is saved for Ellie!) she also was never going to have a blog post dedicated to her until our fortuitous encounter. Something tells me she would still be pleased with the outcome of the day- seeing as how she can't type her own blog with Ragdoll hogging the keyboard.

(Ellie, if you are reading this, I completely understand if this ring shows up in my jewelry box in the near future. You know, for plugging your store on my blog that gets 8 views a day.)


No comments:

Post a Comment