Friday, May 31, 2013

Please forgive me, Sweet P

By now I've heard every reason why breast is best: 
Bonding for mama and babe, postpartum weight loss, little one will be less likely to have allergies, asthma or drive a two-door hatchback and more likely to host her own HGTV show. There are literally endless reasons. And so far it has been the most fulfilling experience of my life. The one thing, however, it can NOT do, is give your child fingertips made of steel. Sweet P had her rapid growing talons trimmed by yours truly and she suffered an atrocity that no 11 week old should ever know. She sustained the most itty bitty teeny tiny knick to the tip of her finger. That bled as if her entire hand had been severed. But she did not make a peep. Girly wails the minute her bare bum hits the the air but not when mommy nearly cuts off the tip of a digit?! Go figure. In fact, it wasn't until I thought she was hemorrhaging from the face (from her little flailing arms) that I realized a nail trimming injury occurred. And because I could not get the bleeding to stop I had to apply a bandaid- proof of what happened. Proof that, despite prior assumptions, I am not a perfect momma. (Gasp!)
So the next time you see us, you may notice P has the nails of a Jersey Shore cast member and I have the battle wounds from her sharp claws. Wounds to match my wounded, injury-inflicting spirit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment