Sunday, June 16, 2013

Zzzzz

By now I've been given plenty of advice (solicited and otherwise) on how to get my Sweet P to sleep. I've complied all that advice into my own list that I lovingly referred to as the Triple B List:
Bath
Book
Breast
But after several weeks (13 weeks and 5 days, in fact) of trying the Triple B List, I found something to be missing. So I added one more "B" to bring our grand total to four. Behold, the Quadruple B List:
Bath
Book
Breast
BULLSHIT

I love my kid. She is getting to be so animated and fun. Her toothless grins and drooly mouth melt my heart. That is, when she is happy enough to show off a smile. The girl will not sleep anywhere but in my arms amd when she is overly tired I swear my precious little bundle gets swapped out with a wildebeest who had his prey snatched up by a neighboring herd of water buffalo. That shit ain't no joke when it could be weeks before he happens upon another wounded zebra to take down for dinner. Wait. Where were we? Oh yes- sleep. My girl likes her sleep one way and one way only. In her mamas arms. And I would be lying if I didn't say that at night I love her cozy body snuggled up against my chest. But as sweet as it is, during afternoon naps a sleeping baby in moms arms does not get a house vacuumed and dinner on the table. And it certainly does not get 100 mason jars embellished for a September wedding. So I bust out the B's to see where it leads me...

Bath: the best part of the day as far as she is concerned! She splashes and laughs and usually will do 4-6 laps (backstroke or butterfly, depending on her mood) before she is ready to get out. And when she is out, she is ready to party. Not even a lavender massage will dampen her post-shower spirits. Clearly, who gets all clean and pretty only to go to bed?
Book: she may be too young to sit through storytime just yet (or could it be she is too intellectual to be reading such childish stories?), but one sentence into even the shortest of all books and she is throwing a fit to move on to the next activity. 
Breast: this girl loves to nurse. She also loves to poop almost immediately after nursing. She HATES to have her diaper changed. The point being that nursing does not lead to sweet slumber in this house. 
BULLSHIT: babies will sleep when they are damn well ready. And I suggest you have a pillow handy for when in happens because you may just be able to get in a wink of shuteye before little one is rearing to go again. That is if you haven't already fallen asleep while reading this post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment